LOVE – DEFINITIONS
There are countless definitions about Love.
One of the most famous is from the Corinthians:
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is neither rude nor self-seeking, not easily angered and keeps no record of wrongs but always protects, trusts, hopes, always perseveres. Love never comes to an end.
Vijay had gathered far too many definitions of love, but only these have been included:
– A friendship with erotic moments. Antonio Gala
– A friendship caught on fire. Bruce Lee
– Trembling happiness. Khalil Gibran
– A space and time measured by the heart. Proust
– The river of life in the world. H. W. Beecher
– The poetry of the senses. Balzac
– The outreach of self toward completion. Ralph W. Sockman
– All love is unrequited. All of it. J. Michael Straczynski
– Pure love is harmony, for love is a concerto. Lope de Vega
– The crowning grace of humanity. Petrarch– Creation raised to a higher degree. Toyohiko Kagawa
– Energy of life. Robert Browning
– Once you are in it (the true awareness), you will find that you love what you see, whatever may be its nature. This choice-less love is the touchstone of awareness.
– Love is a mirror: you see nothing but your reflection, nothing but your real face. Rumi
– The fulfilling of the law. The Bible
– An act of faith, and whoever is of little faith is also of little love. Erich Fromm
– The gift of oneself. Jean Anouilh
– The final expression of the will to live. Thomas Wolfe
– The only reality and not a mere sentiment.
– The final truth at the heart of creation. Tagore
– The affinity which links and draws together the elements of the world..
– The agent of universal synthesis. Teilhard de Chardin
– A choice you make from moment to moment. Barbara De Angeli
– He who can love can be; he who can be can do; he who can do is. Orage
– The total absence of fear. Gerald Jampolsky
Ultimately, what we really love
is Love itself.
– We are shaped and fashioned by what we love. Goethe
– The eternal first breath. Vanna Bonta
– Love isn’t an emotion or an instinct – it’s an art. Mae West
– The first duty of love is to listen. Paul Tillich
– To love someone means to see him as God intended him. Dostoevsky
– An attempt to change a piece of a dream-world into reality.
– Love must be as much a light, as it is a flame.
– There is no remedy for love but to love more. Thoreau
– Love has nothing to do with another person. Love is your individual
and collective soul. Gangaji
– A flower cannot blossom without sunshine, and man cannot live without love. Max Muller
– Love means wanting others to be happy. Buddhism
– The child of freedom. French proverb
– Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain empties. J. Renard
– The expression of God Surya
– Love is higher than work, than Yoga, than knowledge.
– Extreme love and highest knowledge are one.
– Every act of love brings happiness; there is no act of love which does not bring peace and blessedness as its reaction.
– Love is beyond time and space, it is absolute. Vivekananda
– Love is the beauty of the soul. Saint Augustine– Lost is all the time not spent in love. Torquato Tasso
– Love is the absence of judgment. The Dalai Lama
But then why so very few can feel it all the time?
Love means dissolving the will. Rumi
Vijay added that:
Love is the realization that we are all one in the Divine, the delight
and ecstasy of finding each other again after having
been as if separated for so long.
The difference between human and Divine Love is infinitely greater
than the one between a tiny, muddy puddle
and the whole Ocean.
Osho came up with a whole truckload of definitions of Love:
– Needs great courage. It is not for cowards. The coward can always ask to be loved but he cannot love.
– Needs overflowing energy. We are like a rosebush which is continuously fighting with other rosebushes.
There is not time to grow roses, no energy left for roses.
– Cannot grow in a state of misery. The miserable person cannot be loving, the miserable person becomes closed.
– Needs openness, otherwise the sources of your energy will remain imprisoned.
– Means changing the very focus of your life.
– Is alchemical; it transforms your very chemistry. It makes you a new person, it gives you a new birth. One becomes twice-born through love.
– Has to be earthly. Just as trees cannot grow without earth — they need roots in the earth – love needs roots in the earth; the body represents the earth.
– Transforms the material life into the divine life.
– Is not a passion.Love is not an emotion.
– Love is a deep understanding of the fact that somehow the other person completes us.
– Gives us the freedom to be ourselves.
– Knows the beginning but not the end. It is eternity.
– Means having the heart endless melodies to sing, and whether someone listens to them or not is irrelevant.Even if no one listens, you still have to sing, dance your dance.– Requires our surrender, and we absolutely do not want to.We would like that it is the other who surrenders, a slave.– Demands that you give up your ego: this is price required of love.And without paying it you cannot have love.– When love enters your heart, God is present.In the intoxication of love the Beloved is there.
– In the vision of love there is the vision of God.
– We are afraid of love because love is a little death.
People say love is blind because they do not knowwhat love is.
I say unto you, only love has eyes;other than love,
everything is blind.
According to him essentially Love is:
– What cleanses the inner world.
– The source of all creativity,
– When the rock of the ego is removed.
– The only proof of God.
– Holy because it makes you whole.
– The release of your grace, of your beauty, of your splendor
– A rebellion against all these stupid structures — the church, the state.
– The rock on which the temple of life can be built. Without love all houses are made on sands, shifting sands.
– The earth where one needs to be rooted. Just as trees are rooted in the earth, man is rooted in love.
– The only experience that defies death, that knows no death.
– The only miracle, the ladder connecting earth to heaven.Mastering love you learn everything.Without love, all your life is lost.– The intuition of the Beloved.
– Not a need but an overflow …
– A luxury.It is abundance.It means having so much life that you do not know what to do with it, therefore you share it.
Love is the foundation on which one’s life can become a temple
and one’s being can become a host for the divine Guest.
According to a passage of Prema Devi in The Quest Love is:
– Absolute freedom from fear, from every identification,
from all attachments, selfishness, anger, possessiveness, resentments, jealousy, hatred, resentment, opinions, all conditionings, dogmas, dishonesty, guilt, arrogance, conceit.
– Courage, strength, confidence in ourselves
and in the Divine, compassion, generosity, selflessness, sincerity, creativity, tolerance, humility , enthusiasm, optimism, integrity, audacity, unity, balance, joy,peace, equanimity, sensitivity, inspiration, peace, loyalty.
Love is progress, change, constant transformation, the capacity to face
any obstacle or test, to be heroes; love is movement
while fear is paralysis.
– Never gets discouraged,
while fear depresses us; love makes us see the other in yourself while fear makes us see the other as the enemy.
– A supreme compassion for all and everyone,
while fear makes us judge and condemn this or that.
– The freedom to discover ourselves,
while fear blocks us in old phantoms that do not allow us to discover who we really are.
Love is the Divine….but as long as we remain identified with our fear,
attachments, possessiveness, we remain just a puppets
pulled by too many garbled threads.
Love is your Self.
It is your real name and the name of every living being. But you will not
truly know and be this Self-Love until you are willing
to exchange your identity for Truth.
As Attar said:
In Love neither “Thou” nor “I” any longer exist, for
into the Beloved our Self has merged.
Mere has the last word:
The great stars give light because they burn; they burn
because they are under the effect of Love.
Which of all these definitions touched you most?
What does it tell you about yourself?